Chargeback Reason Code
Why did I get a chargeback with American Express reason code P01?
You have processed a transaction using an invalid or otherwise incorrect card number.
Note: You can resubmit the transaction if you can provide the correct card number.
What do I need to fight a chargeback with American Express reason code P01?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- If the card number was correct, provide a copy of the card imprint, a copy of the charge record from the terminal that electronically read the card number, or proof you received an authorization approval.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
How can I avoid a chargeback with American Express reason code P01 in the future?
- Always request authorization before completing a transaction.
- If an authorization request is denied, stop the transaction and ask for an alternate form of payment.
- Always swipe or dip a card–only use fall-back options in emergency situations.