Chargeback Reason Code
Why did I get a chargeback with American Express reason code F30?
You processed a transaction with a counterfeit card, and the cardholder claims he or she didn’t participate in the purchase. The counterfeit card wasn’t detected because either the POS isn’t chip-and-PIN enabled or the transaction was manually keyed.
Note: This reason code should not be used for contactless transactions or digital wallet payments.
What do I need to fight a chargeback with American Express reason code F30?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- If the purchase was a card-not-present transaction, provide proof the dispute is invalid.
- If the card wasn’t counterfeit, provide proof the POS processed a chip card transaction.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
How can I avoid a chargeback with American Express reason code F30 in the future?
- Only use EMV-compliant terminals.
- Always use the correct cardholder verification method—signature, PIN, etc.
- Make sure you differentiate between card-not-present and card-present transactions during clearing by noting, internet, phone, or mail orders.