Chargeback Reason Code
Why did I get a chargeback with American Express reason code C32?
The cardholder claims to have received goods or services that were damaged or defective.
What do I need to fight a chargeback with American Express reason code C32?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- If you have proof the goods or services were not damaged or defective, provide evidence to refute the cardholder’s claim. This might include, for example, the fact that merchandise wasn’t returned.
- If the merchandise or services provided were defective, provide proof the cardholder agreed to accept the goods or services “as is”.
- If the goods or services were not returned, provide documentation that proves the cardholder didn’t comply with your clearly-stated policies.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
How can I avoid a chargeback with American Express reason code C32 in the future?
- Provide exceptional customer service and promptly acknowledge customers when they make contact.
- If the cardholder contacts you to resolve the issue, promptly fulfill all valid requests for replacements or refunds.
- Use the correct size boxes and sufficient packing material so items won’t break in transit.
- Resolve the issue yourself. Don’t refer the cardholder to the manufacturer instead.