Chargeback Reason Code
Why did I get a chargeback with American Express reason code C31?
The cardholder claims to have received goods or services that were different from what was offered at the time of the purchase.
What do I need to fight a chargeback with American Express reason code C31?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- If the goods or services provided are the same as what was promised, provide copies of the written descriptions made available at the time of the purchase. You may also provide other forms of evidence such as photographs, emails, etc.
- If the merchandise or services provided were defective, provide one or more of the following: proof you tried to repair or replace the merchandise or provide alternate services; proof the cardholder didn’t comply with your clearly-stated cancellation or return policy; or proof the cardholder agreed to accept the goods or services “as is”.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
How can I avoid a chargeback with American Express reason code C31 in the future?
- Make sure all service and merchandise descriptions are complete, accurate, and not misleading.
- Make sure your fulfillment department is familiar with your merchandise, has a complete understanding of what has been purchased, and knows what to ship.
- Provide exceptional customer service and promptly acknowledge customers when they make contact.
- If the cardholder contacts you to resolve the issue, promptly fulfill all valid requests for replacements or refunds.