Chargeback Reason Code
Why did I get a chargeback with American Express reason code C08?
The cardholder claims not to have received the goods or services. Or, the cardholder only partially received what was promised.
What do I need to fight a chargeback with American Express reason code C08?
If the disputed purchase was an airline transaction, your chargeback response must include at least one of the following:
- Proof that the cardholder or designated passenger participated in the flight (scanned boarding pass, flight manifest, etc.)
- Proof that frequent flyer miles were earned during the flight
- Proof that the flight was still available during bankruptcy proceedings
- Proof of additional purchases related to the original transaction (seat upgrades, baggage payments, in-flight purchases, etc.)
If the disputed purchase was for digital goods, your chargeback response must include at least one of the following:
- Proof the cardholder’s IP address at the time of purchase matches the IP address where the digital goods were downloaded
- Proof the cardholder’s email address provided at the time of purchase matches the email address used to deliver the digital goods
- Proof that the cardholder accessed services from your website after the initial transaction date
All other chargeback responses must include at least one of the following:
- If the merchandise was paid for online but picked up at the store, provide a signed pickup form and proof that the cardholder’s identity was verified.
- If the cardholder shopped for someone else, provide evidence to prove a link between the person who received the goods or services and the cardholder (photographs, emails, etc.)
- If good were delivered successfully, provide proof that they were delivered to the address provided by the cardholder and goods were received in their entirety.
- If services were offered, provide a completion of work order that was approved, dated, and signed by the cardholder.
- If the cardholder claims to have returned merchandise or cancelled services, provide proof that refutes the claim.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
How can I avoid a chargeback with American Express reason code C08 in the future?
- Abide by the delivery date you promised.
- Have merchandise ready for pickup at the time you specified it would be available.
- Make sure you accurately describe the services that will be provided.
- Don’t charge the card until the merchandise has been shipped.
- Notify the customer as soon as possible if merchandise is out of stock or the delivery will be delayed.