Chargeback Reason Code
Why did I get a chargeback with American Express reason code C05?
The cardholder claims that the goods or services ordered were cancelled, but you didn’t provide a refund.
What do I need to fight a chargeback with American Express reason code C05?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- If the cancellation request didn’t comply with your policies, provide a copy of your cancellation policy, outline how you made the cardholder aware of the policy before the purchase, and explain how the rules weren’t followed.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
How can I avoid a chargeback with American Express reason code C05 in the future?
- For card-present transactions, clearly disclose the cancellation policy on the transaction receipt. If the policy is on the front of the receipt, it should be near the customer signature line. If it is printed on the back, the cardholder must sign the front and initial the back near the policy disclosure.
- For online transactions, clearly disclose the cancellation policy, either on the checkout page that contains the final purchase amount or on the checkout page near the submit button. Require customers to select a “click to accept” box or acknowledge the policy in some other way before completing the purchase.
- Fulfill all qualified cancellations requests promptly so the credit will appear on the cardholder’s next statement.
- If you will be crediting the cardholder for a reduced amount, communicate the difference before processing the credit.