Dispute Condition Code
Why did I get this dispute?
The cardholder has a receipt for a credit or voided transaction, but you haven’t actually processed it yet.
How long can the issuer wait to file this dispute?
The dispute timeline can be based on one of two start dates. Either the dispute must be processed within 120 calendar days of:
- the transaction processing date, or
- the date on the credit transaction receipt
However, if the credit transaction receipt is dated, the issuer must let at least 15 calendar days pass before initiating a dispute.
What do I need to fight this dispute?
- If the sale is valid and you aren’t obligated to issue a refund, provide documentation that refutes the cardholder’s claim that credit should have been applied to the account.
- If the dispute is invalid, provide documentation that proves the reasoning: the dispute amount includes the cash-back portion of the transaction or the dispute is for a purchase made at an automated fuel dispenser.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
- If the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction, provide documentation that proves the issue has been resolved.
How can I avoid this dispute in the future?
- Take care not to accidentally process transactions that should be voided or cancelled
- Adhere to any promises for credits or refunds.
- Fulfill all qualified cancellations or refund requests promptly so the credit will appear on the cardholder’s next statement.