Why did I get a dispute with Visa reason code 13.1?
The customer claims you didn’t provide the goods or services as promised.
How long can the issuer wait to file a dispute with Visa reason code 13.1?
The dispute timeline can be based on one of two start dates. Either the dispute must be processed within 120 calendar days of:
- the transaction processing date ,or
- the last date the customer expected to receive the goods or services (but not to exceed 540 days of the original transaction processing date)
However, if you didn’t specify a delivery date for the merchandise or service, the issuer must let at least 15 calendar days pass after the transaction processing date before initiating a dispute.
Also, if the customer returned merchandise because it was delivered late, the issuer must let at least 15 calendar days pass after the date the cardholder returned the merchandise before initiating a dispute.
Note: Different timelines apply to transactions processed in Europe.
What do I need to fight a dispute with Visa reason code 13.1?
- If you delivered the merchandise or made it available for pickup on the agreed upon date, provide documentation to prove the cardholder received the goods or service.
- If the agreed upon delivery date hasn’t passed yet, provide documentation that proves the accurate delivery schedule.
- If the dispute is invalid, provide documentation that proves the reasoning: the merchandise cleared the merchant’s customs but is being held by the customer’s customs agency, the dispute amount includes the cash-back portion of the transaction, or the dispute is for a purchase made at an automated fuel dispenser.
- If the cardholder cancelled the order because merchandise or services wouldn’t be delivered on time, provide documentation that proves you provided a refund.
- If the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction, provide documentation that proves the issue has been resolved.
Click here for additional forms of compelling evidence that will be accepted for this dispute condition.
How can I avoid a dispute with Visa reason code 13.1 in the future?
- Abide by the delivery date you promised.
- Have merchandise ready for pickup at the time you specified it would be available.
- Make sure you accurately describe the services that will be provided.
- Don’t charge the card until the merchandise has been shipped.
- Notify the customer as soon as possible if merchandise is out of stock or the delivery will be delayed.