Dispute Condition Code
Why did I get this dispute?
The cardholder claims the transaction is unauthorized and it was either a key-entered or unattended transaction.
How long can the issuer wait to file this dispute?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the dispute processing date is 120 calendar days.
What do I need to fight this dispute?
- If you obtained an electronic imprint for a face-to-face transaction, provide documentation that proves the transaction was authorized by the cardholder.
- If you have an imprint and a PIN for an unattended transaction, provide documentation that proves the transaction was authorized by the cardholder.
- If the transaction includes a card-present transaction and a subsequent key-entered transaction, provide documentation that proves all transactions took place during the same stay, trip, or rental period and a valid imprint for the first card-present transaction.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account
- If the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction, provide documentation that proves the issue has been resolved.
How can I avoid this dispute in the future?
- Use fallback options—like manually entering transaction data—as a last resort.
- If you do perform a key-entered transaction, make a manual imprint of the card.
- Make sure you differentiate between card-absent and card-present transactions during clearing by noting, internet, phone, or mail orders.