Dispute Condition Code
Why did I get this dispute?
The cardholder has a PIN-preferring chip card, but you didn’t use a chip-reading device to process the transaction or used a chip-reading device that wasn’t PIN compliant. Now, the cardholder claims the purchase was unauthorized.
How long can the issuer wait to file this dispute?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the dispute processing date is 120 calendar days.
What do I need to fight this dispute?
- If you processed the transaction with a PIN-compliant chip-reading device, provide documentation that proves the transaction was processed correctly.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
- If the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction, provide documentation that proves the issue has been resolved.
How can I avoid this dispute in the future?
- Only use EMV-compliant terminals.
- Always use the correct cardholder verification method—signature, PIN, etc.
- Create an electronic or manual imprint for every card-present transaction.